Talk to referrals
As you’re looking for an accountant, go beyond simply reading reviews. Approach the firm and ask to talk to some of their current clients to learn more. Most firms will be happy to provide referrals for you to contact.
Aim to learn about their experience working with the firm. Some great questions to ask might include:
- How often do you hear from your accountant? (Example: Only at tax time or a couple of times during the year?)
- Has the firm had a lot of staff turnover on your account?
- How satisfied are you with the quality of the staff working on your account?
- What do you like most about the firm?
- What do you think the firm could improve?
Look beyond the numbers
Accounting is more than just crunching numbers. It’s also about providing great service and attention. Look for a partner who provides the best of both worlds.
What does it mean for a CPA firm to provide great service? The best business-accountant relationships are built on trust and excellent communication. This is where a big part of the “fit” aspect comes into play. You should feel like the firm is a partner, not an entity to be managed.
You’ll have to talk and potentially meet face-to-face with the CPA firm to get the best read on how well you mesh together. But before you have a conversation, there are a few other things you can look at:
- The firm’s website — particularly the about page
- Years in business
- Online reviews
What to ask the firm
Once you’ve identified 1 or 2 CPA firms you feel are a good fit, it’s time to set up a time to speak to each one and get a better sense of who they are and whether or not they’re right for your business. Create a list of questions or things you need to know before you can feel confident in making a decision.
A few questions to consider asking a small business accounting service are:
- How often do you work with small businesses? What kinds of small businesses do you work with? Do you have any clients in my industry?
- What kind of accounting tasks can you help me with
- How available will you be?
- What are your fees and charges?
- What makes you different? Why should I choose you?
Our Vancouver Certified Public Accountants are here to answer your questions
Opsahl Dawson is proud to be the trusted CPA firm for small businesses in Washington state. Our client partnerships are focused on long-term success. We offer the latest tools and technology to make your experience easy and efficient. Most importantly, our team is comprised of the best and most experienced CPAs in the area, ready to serve you.
Let’s chat and learn more about each other to find out if we’re the right fit for your business.